GISc Certificate Program
The Graduate Certificate Program in Geographic Information Sciences offered within the Department of Geography is designed to educate and train students in Geographic Information Sciences with a focus on remote sensing, geographic information systems (GIS), and spatial analysis. The UNC-CH program is unique in the combination of basic theory with a focus on the practical application of knowledge in public health, ecology, planning, business, and other areas. The program is designed to serve (1) current students who wish to acquire cutting edge geospatial technical expertise to support the topical knowledge gained in their undergraduate and graduate programs, and (2) returning students who wish to acquire specialized education and training to meet current or future job requirements calling for knowledge in geographic information sciences.
Program & Requirements:
- Complete 18 credit hours of relevant coursework (see the GISc Grad Certificate Handbook for list of possible courses).
- Transfer credit for appropriate previous courses (6 credits maximum) can be requested from the program director.
- If you are enrolled in another graduate program at UNC, a maximum of 6 certificate credit hours can overlap with courses taken to fulfill requirements for both programs.
- Finish in 1 year for full-time students; part-time students have up to 4 years to complete.
- Cost based on rates for graduate tuition & fees and depend on credit hours enrolled (see https://cashier.unc.edu/tuition-fees/ ).
Application Deadlines: June 15 for fall semester start; November 15 for spring semester start
Send the following via email to the Program Director (Dr. Erika Wise, firstname.lastname@example.org) by the application deadline:
- Undergraduate and/or graduate transcript(s). You must have a Bachelor’s degree (any field) to enter the graduate certificate program and have taken an introductory course in statistical methods (stats course can be added to first semester, if needed).
- Personal essay. Describe your interest in the program and your professional goals, indicate your requested start semester, and provide your current full contact information (2-page maximum).
- Include names, positions, and contact information for two people who can serve as professional references.
If you are currently enrolled as a graduate student at UNC-Chapel Hill, you do not need to send the above materials. Instead, send the Program Director (Dr. Erika Wise, email@example.com) an email indicating your interest in joining the certificate program and have your advisor send an email stating that they support your enrollment in the program. (Both must be received prior to the application deadline.)
For More Information:
Please see the GISc Grad Certificate Handbook for additional information and complete program details. Further questions can be directed to Dr. Erika Wise, Director of the GISc Certificate Program, at firstname.lastname@example.org.