« All Events
Research in Geography Colloquium
October 7, 2022 @ 3:30 pm - 5:00 pm
3:30-3:35 pm: Event Introduction
- Ana Zurita Posas and Luke Francis will introduce colloquium and the Geography Undergraduate Advisory Committee (GUAC)
- Will also explain to the audience the structure of the event
- 1. Office of Undergraduate Research 2. Undergraduates, 3. Professors, 4. Q&A Panel!
3:35-3:40 pm: Introduction to Research
- Rachael Fisher, an Undergraduate Ambassador at the Office of Undergraduate Research, will broadly explain how to get involved with research, what does research look like, and the benefits of undergraduate research
3:40-4:00 pm: Undergraduate Experience in Research
- Each student will have 2 to 3 minutes to present one slide about their research experience
- Ana Zurita Posas will discuss her research on ocean data science and ocean governance with Dr. Havice
- Luke Francis will present his research on urban planning
- Senam Adedze will present her research experience related to geography
- Bryttani Wooten (a graduate student) will discuss her undergraduate experience in research at Pennsylvania State, as well as share general tips and tricks
4:00-4:30 pm: Professors in Research
- Each professor will have 5 to 7 minutes to present one slide about their research
- Dr. Christian Lentz will present his research with human geography and Southeast Asian studies
- Dr. Gabriela Valdivia will present her research relating to feminist geography in Latin America
- Dr. Nina Martin will discuss her research about urban geography
- Dr. Paul Delamater will present his work with health geography and spatial data science
4:30-5:00 pm: Research Q&A Panel!
- Panel will consist of Ana Zurita Posas, Luke Francis, Senam Adedze, Bryttani Wooten, Dr. Christian Lentz, Dr. Gabriela Valdivia, Dr. Nina Martin, and Dr. Paul Delamater
- Moderator: a member of GUAC
- Audience will be allowed to ask questions to specific people or the entire panel
- Questions created by GUAC (mostly to start conversation and engage audience)
- How have undergraduates helped you in research in past years?
- What is your favorite part about doing research?
- What have been some of your obstacles with doing research?